Who doesn’t love pizza, right? Middle of the week called for homemade pizza with a twist. Whole wheat dough and sub salsa for pizza sauce? Yeah, I said it! Both of these recipes were great and pretty simple to make! My whole wheat pizza dough was obviously not as good as regular pizza dough but I have to say… it was pretty tasty for being whole wheat! As for the pizza toppings, they were delicious! I sometimes get bored with regular pizza toppings and this was a nice change. It didn’t feel so heavy on my stomach either!
Homemade Whole Wheat Dough
Makes 2 thin crust pizzas (I doubled the recipe and it turned out just as good!)
- 1 cup warm water (lukewarm to touch)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Using a stand mixer with the dough hook, add the warm water to the bowl and add the yeast on top. Give it a quick stir and let sit for 5 minutes or until a little frothy.
- Turn your mixer on low/stir and slowly add your flour, honey, EVOO, and salt. Once everything is added, turn your mixer on to medium and let knead for about 5 more minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl and form into a ball. Grease your mixing bowl and place the dough back into the bowl. Cover with a damp towel and set in a warm spot for about 30-45 minutes. The dough should almost double in size.
- Once dough as risen, roll out your pizzas to whatever thickness/size you want! I made 4 thin crust pizza out of a double batch of this dough. I cooked each of mine for about 14 minutes with the toppings on.
- I used the corn meal on the bottoms of my pizzas so they were easier to slide in and out of the oven. I put some corn meal on my kitchen counter and laid the dough on it so that it stuck to the bottom.
Side note: When I removed my dough to form it into a ball, I thought that it felt and looked a little too sticky. But I left it as is and it turned out great! I think it is because it is whole wheat. So, don’t be afraid if you think it looks/feels too sticky, it will be fine!
Spicy Chicken & Pepper Jack Pizza
- red and yellow bell peppers
- sweet onions
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- fresh salsa
- pepper jack cheese
It is up to you to determine how much of each topping you need! I made four thin crust pizzas and I used around 4 bell peppers, two onions, 1 1/2-2 lbs chicken, 2 containers fresh salsa, and 2 containers of pepper jack cheese.
- I started out with cooking my chicken. I filled a large stock pot with water and let it boil. Then, I added my chicken breasts in. I cooked them for about 20 minutes and they were super easy to shred!
- Saute your onion in a pan with some olive oil for a few minutes. Then, add your bell peppers to the pan.
- Once your dough has been rolled out, top with salsa, peppers/onions, chicken, and cheese!
- Bake in oven for about 14 minutes for a thin crust pizza!
- Enjoy! 🙂
Stay tuned for more delicious recipes throughout March & April! 🙂