March 3rd: Milk Bread
My second Pinterest recipe to share with you is this deliciously-sweet, homemade bread. This bread is super simple to make, it just takes quite a bit of time to prepare because it has to rise. It is a perfect recipe to try on a weekend. I hope you enjoy!
⅔ cup heavy cream (at room temperature)
1 cup, plus 1 tablespoon milk (at room temperature) – I used 2% milk
1 large egg (at room temperature)
⅓ cup sugar
½ cup cake flour, tap measuring cup to avoid air pockets
3½ cups bread flour, tap measuring cut to avoid air pockets
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1½ teaspoons salt
Egg Wash: whisk together 1 egg with 1 teaspoon water
Sugar Water: 2 teaspoons of sugar dissolved in 2 teaspoons hot water
- In a standing mixer combine the following ingredients in this order: heavy cream, milk, egg, sugar, cake flour, bread flour, yeast, and salt. Put the dough hook attachment on and put the mixer on “stir” for 15 minutes. I had to stop my mixer every once in awhile to fix the dough. I used a spatula to do this.
- After 15 minutes of kneading in the mixer, cover the bowl with a damp towel and put in a warm spot to proof for one hour. I just left my bowl on the kitchen counter.
- Once the dough has proofed for one hour, put the bowl back on the mixer on “stir” for five minutes. Then, lay place your dough on a lightly floured kitchen counter.
- Cut the dough into two equal halves. For one of the halves, cut it into three equal pieces and place in a buttered/greased loaf pan. For the other half of the dough, cut it into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each of the eight pieces in your hands until you form a snake-like 10 inch long strand. Fold that in half and twist about 3-4 times. Now, roll that into itself to form a twisted knot. (See picture). Place the little rolls in a buttered/greased round cake pan.
- Next, cover each pan with a damp towel and proof for another hour.
- After proofing for another hour, brush the bread with egg wash. In a 350 degree oven, bake for about 25 minutes. Watch it close in the last 5 minutes of baking because it will start to brown.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack. Brush with sugar water & enjoy!
P.S. Thanks to thewoksoflife.com!